Comments (ie criticism) on le tutorial exorcism

By Himal Ramji

For the second tutorial of our blogging course for JMS1 we had to fill in what was called a ‘Suspect identification form’ and another form which seemed to serve the purpose of telling us more about ourselves.
Both of these, I think, served little or no purpose other than to prove that a form or mere words cannot encapsulate a human being. It seems overly practical but far from realistic to expect a double-sided sheet of paper to teach us more about ourselves.
In terms of the ‘Suspect identification form’ we were asked about our physical appearance as well as any peculiarities, where we are likely to be found, and our habits. Somehow I fail to grasp how this has any bearing on who we, in fact, are. There are just far too many variables involved in each descriptive trait which could explain that characteristic of that individual. But maybe there is a chance that the shape and texture of your eyebrows defines your character.
The exercise only seemed to deteriorate further when we turned over the page. We were struck with a list of 35 adjectives (all of which had positive connotations). We were then meant to list four of these adjectives to describe ourselves in the fields of love, family, study and journalism or blogging. In the end we were to tally up the recurring adjectives because this can apparently tell you a fair amount about yourself. So I am allegedly caring and opinionated. Somehow I find that hard to believe but if a piece of paper is able to define me then maybe I am the one at fault here.
After this period of deep reflection we rambled our way through a page of writing about ‘Why I (do not) want to be a journalist’. I really think it would have been more effective if we had handed in our short pieces of writing – maybe it would have helped curb the disillusionment many journalism students are suffering.
All in all if I said that I thought this tutorial exercise helped me understand myself or get to know myself better in any way I would have to accuse myself of being a blatant liar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment